Office of the Town Clerk
includes Probate and Board of Canvassers
Town Clerk: Carol A. Wordell, CMC
Deputy Town Clerk: Heather J. Cook
Office Clerk: Rebecca Miranda
Probate Court held third Monday of each month at 3 PM. January hearing Tues., Jan. 19, February hearing Tues., Feb.16 due to Holidays
effective January 1, 2021 - Probate Advertising will be $45
Monday - Friday
8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Telephone: (401) 635–4400
Fax: (401) 635–2470
Just a friendly reminder: Dog license renewals normally begin April 1st through the month of April.
Cost: $6.00 each dog, annually, valid rabies certificate required
The Town Clerk’s Office serves as the main point of contact between the Town’s Administration and the public. The Clerk’s Office performs various duties as set by State Law, the Town Charter, and common custom. Among these services include:
- Serving as the Recorder of Deeds, Registrar of Voters, Registrar of Vital Records
- Certifying and Sealing official town documents,
- Handling licenses and permits for the Town, (i.e. dump stickers and various transfer station coupons, dog licenses, marriage licenses, registry of trade name, etc.)
- Serving as the Clerk for the Town Council, Board of Canvassers and of the Probate Court,
- Maintaining a filing system for the Agendas and Minutes of the various elected and appointed boards, councils and commissions,
- And performing all other duties imposed by state law.
Below is a schedule of fees for the Office of the Town Clerk:
- Dump stickers - $5.00 each, annually please bring car registration and proof of residency
- Construction debris coupons - $75 for GVW of 10,000 lbs. or under; $150 for GVW over 10,000 lbs.
- Mattress or box spring - free unless they are not recyclable due to severe soiling
- Appliance coupon - $25.00 (anything that normally contains refrigerant)
- Compost "Earth Machine" Bin, www.rirrc.org - $45.00 each
- Dog license - $6.00 each dog, annually, rabies certificate required
- Certified vital record (walk-in) - $22.00 first copy, $18.00 each additional copy.
- application form Marriage application form Death application form Birth
- Certified vital record (mail-in or on-line option) - $25.00 first copy, $18.00 each additional copy.
- Land Evidence recordings fees – contact the Clerk’s Office, Tel: 401-635-4400
- Land Evidence Records can be accessed through this link
- Probate filing fee’s – minimum $34.00, advertising rates $45.00 each set of ads (for more details contact the Clerk’s Office, Tel: 401-635-4400)
- Fishing or Hunting Licenses are no longer issued by this office. You can purchase your license on-line at https://www.ri.gov/DEM/huntfish
- Photocopies – land evidence deeds $1.50 per page; private copies $.25 each page; public records $.15 each page
- Registry of Trade Name - $10.00, onetime fee.
The Town Clerk is elected every two years at the general election in November. The Town Clerk’s duties and responsibilities are set by the Town Charter and by state law.
40 Commons; P.O. Box 226
Little Compton, RI 02837