Frequently Asked Questions

Quick Guide


General Questions:
Please feel free to reach out to the Town Clerk should you have any further questions not answered below, 635-4400.

Mailing Address of the Town Hall: 
Town Hall, 40 Commons, PO Box 226, Little Compton, RI 02837

When is the Town Hall open?
The Town Hall is open from Monday - Friday, 8 AM to 4 PM. 

Please note: The Tax Assessor's office usually closes daily for a one hour lunch break.

When is the Transfer Station open?  The Transfer Station is open year round.   
The hours are:  Monday – 10 am to 6 pm; Tues, Thur, Fri, Sat – 8 am to 4 pm; Sunday and Wednesday closed.  

         If the Transfer Station is closed due to a holiday, it will be open the next day the hours of the closed day merged with the regularly scheduled hours of the day that followed.  Example:  Monday closed due to a holiday = Tuesday open 8 am to 6 pm.

How do I get a permit to do work on my house?   
Follow this link to Viewpoint 
How do I get a tent permit?
  Follow the link above to Viewpoint 

Tax Collector related questions:

Questions not answered below, please contact the office of the Town Treasurer & Tax Collector: 401-635-4219.

When are the quarterly taxes due?  
September 15th, December 15th, March 15thand June 15th 

What is the tax rate?  
Currently, the rate is: $4.96/$1,000 for fiscal year 2024.

Can I pay my taxes over the phone with a credit card?  
No, you can pay on-line or in person at the Town Hall, but you cannot pay over the phone. The card must be present for the Town Hall to process the credit card payment.  

Can I pay my taxes on line?  Yes, taxes can be paid at The taxpayer will need their account #, and PIN which can be found on the front of their tax bill. 

Do you accept postmark mail for tax payments?   Yes.  

Who pays the transfer tax of a property sale? The buyer normally pays the LC Agricultural Conservancy Tax. 

How much is an Municipal Lien Certificate (MLC)?  
$25.00 - they may be obtained through the office of the Tax Collector

How does the Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust (LCACT) tax work?  
Currently, the first $300,000 is exempt from taxation, but consideration paid above $300,000 will be taxed at 4%.  

Where can I get a Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust (LCACT) form?  
Many forms are available on the Town website including the LCACT form. The Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust (LCACT) form can also be obtained in the Treasurer’s Office at the Town Hall.

Tax Assessor related questions:
Questions not answered below, please contact the Tax Assessor's office: 401-635-4509.

Where are your maps? Tax Maps

Do you have (Geographic Information Systems) GIS?  Yes, use this link to access Geographic Information System (GIS)

How do I change my tax bill mailing address?  Contact the Tax Assessor’s office to change your tax bill mailing address: 401-635-4509.

Town Clerk's Office related questions:
Questions not answered below, please contact the Town Clerk’s Office: 401-635-4400.

How do I change my voting information (name, address, party affiliation)?   All changes should be directed to the Board of Canvassers, located in the Town Clerk's office: 401-635-4400 or by completing Forms which are available on the town website or in person at the town hall in the appropriate office.

How can I register to vote?
Options:   Link to on-line voter registrations 
                 When you make a change at DMV (renew your driver’s license, or car registration)
                 Or you can come in person to the Board of Canvassers, located in the Town Clerk's office at the Town Hall.

How can I see the chain of title for a property?  
Currently, the Tax Assessor's office has references to the Chain of Title on-line through Vision Government Solutions. Further references may be seen in person in the Tax Assessor’s office in the Town Hall.  Additionally, Land Evidence Records are recorded in the Office of the Town Clerk and available on-line through IQS.

When are dogs required to be registered?  Dogs are required to be registered upon issuance of the Rabies Certificate, then in the month of April, but before May 1 annually.  There is an annual fee of $6.00 per dog.

Where do I get a marriage license?  Marriage licenses are issued by the Town Clerk.  The Marriage Requirements Handbook is a good guide to the process.

How can I obtain a copy of a birth, marriage or death record?  The Office of the Town Clerk issues certified copies of Vital records.  The cost is $22 for the first copy, $18 each additional if obtaining a copy in person at the Town Hall, and $25 first copy, $18 each additional if you are obtaining through the mail.  Vital records are closed records so proof of identity is required to release the record. Record application forms ( birth, marriage death ) can be found on the town website. Additionally you can follow this link to apply on-line.

Police and Fire Department related questions:
Please contact Dispatch: 401-635-2311.

What hours do you do VIN Checks?  An appointment will need to be scheduled with the designated officer through Dispatch at the Public Safety Complex.

How do I obtain a criminal background check (BCI)?  The Little Compton Police Department is qualified to handle several types of BCI checks while others must be handled through the RI Attorney Generals Office. 

How do I get a copy of a Police Report?  aka "Public Records Request?"  The Public Records Request form explains the process.           

How do I pay a Parking Ticket?   
At the Dispatch window of the Public Safety Complex.

How do I have my child safety seat installed or inspected?  Please make an appointment with an officer by calling Dispatch at the Public Safety Complex: 401-635-2311 to have a seat properly installed.

How do I contact the Animal Control Officer?  Dispatcher's can direct your inquiry to the appropriate officer on duty.  401-635-2311.

How can I dispose of old expired medications?  A collection bin is located in the foyer of the Public Safety Complex for old medications, no liquids are accepted.

Can I get a permit to burn leaves today?   The Fire Chief will advise Dispatch daily if burning permits may be issued.  Dispatcher's can issue the permits. A quick call to Dispatch will determine if permits are being issued on any given day.

Beach related questions:
Questions not answered below, please contact South Shore Beach:
Beach Tel: 401-239-4818~ Beach Email: or the Town Clerk: 401-635-4400 

Is the beach open?  
The Beach is open Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend, weather permitting.  
Any questions, please contact the Beach tel #: 401-239-4818/email: or visit the
Beach Page for further information.

How do I get a campfire permit for South Shore Beach?  Campfire permits can be obtained at the Beach while the beach is open for the season.  Off-season fires are not allowed.

Where do I get a beach sticker? 
Beach stickers are issued at the beach when they are open for the season at the shack at the entrance to the beach.  

Are the Beach Camper Applications available yet?  Generally, the Beach Commission makes the Camper Applications available sometime in the spring, they will be on the town website when available.

2024 Camper application

Senior Transportation:

The Senior Van is available for rides to and from:

  • Senior lunches at the Community Center on
    Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
  • Shopping at Market Basket, Walmart and CVS on Thursdays
  • Shopping at Lees Market and Westport Apothecary on Tuesday
  • Wellness Center on Tuesdays and Fridays

To reserve your seat on the bus, have a question or a request please call 401-777-9700
Make reservations by 4:00 PM on Friday of the preceding week.

If you wish to volunteer as a bus driver, please contact the Town Administrator at 635-8373


© 2019 Town of Little Compton, RI 40 Commons, PO Box 226, Little Compton, RI 02837               Code Red

Code Red

Powered By Revize Login